Working late night shifts can often make your meal times seem to be completely off schedule. If you work nights and sleep days you may find yourself eating breakfast when everyone else in your household is sitting down for dinner. This can also mean that your dinnertime may be very late at night and this could cause you to pack on extra weight. It may be best for your health to adjust the times of your meals to avoid those late-night calories. Night shift workers are probably losing their good health faster than you can say “Hello”. Long hours of work along with a hectic work schedule, have put an increasing number of young professionals burning the midnight oil at risk of major health disorders.
The common problems that many night shift workers face are:
- Disorders (various disorders like insomnia, fatigue)
- Gastrointestinal and digestive problems
- Cardiovascular diseases and blood pressure
- Behavioral and emotional disturbances
Some healthy tips for night shift employees:
- Eat regularly, enjoying at least three meals plus snacks, and spacing your food no more than four to five hours apart.
- Eat a diet that”s high in fiber with lots of whole-grain bread and cereal, nuts, dried peas and beans, fruits and vegetables.
- Avoid fatty, greasy and spicy foods, especially on the night shift.
- Eat lightly between 10pm and 6am. Avoid full meals and never eat a large meal before going to bed. For energy on the night shift, reach for foods high in carbohydrates and protein, but low in sugar and fat.
- Eat slowly.
- Drink water. Six to eight cups a day will aid digestion.
- Reduce or eliminate alcohol and caffeine. Avoid caffeine at least six hours before the time you want to fall asleep. Instead, drink water, herbal tea, juice or milk.
- One should eat dinner, before beginning the shift, at 7 or 8 pm rather than late at night when it is almost 12.
- Live a Balanced Life While Working Nights.
- Too much caffeine is not a good thing.
No related posts.Tags: Diets for Night Shift Workers, Health & Fitness, Health Care, Healthy Tips for Night Shift Employees, Night Shift Employees, Sleep Tips for Shift Workers, Tips for Surviving and Enjoying the Night Shift